The Mixtape Museum (MXM) is an archive project established to collect, preserve, and share knowledge related to mixtape history.
The MXM is devoted to advancing public understanding and appreciation of the art, history, technique, and impact mixtapes have made around the world. While encouraging the research of mixtapes as records of time, place and situation, it will also examine the individuals that have shaped their existence.
Through exhibitions, technology, publications, symposia, collaborative projects, and other partnerships, our aim is to create an environment that encourages dialogue between scholars, music professionals, and enthusiasts on the mixtape’s various functions in society.
MXM strives to:
- Serve as an advocate to advance opportunities for mixtape scholars and increase awareness of Mixtape Scholarship
- Promote the intellectual importance of mixtapes
- Encourage, organize, and systematize preservation in the DJ and Hip Hop communities
- To foster collaboration among educators, scholars, DJs, artists, and organizations to advance Hip Hop culture
- Provide support and resources to mixtape collectors. See Mixtape Collective.